Some people say that the weld produced by gas shielded welding is not as solid as that of arc welding. This statement is not absolute.
There are two kinds of welding wires for gas shielded welding, one is solid and the other is flux cored.
The general welding method of solid welding wire is push welding. The weld penetration is shallower than that of handle welding.
The general welding method of flux cored welding wire is pull welding as that of handle welding, The quality of this kind of weld is comparable to that of handle welding.
Now some large equipment and tools such as shipyards are basically welded with gas shielded flux cored wire!
Manual arc welding vs CO2 gas shielded welding
CO2 gas shielded welding:
1. Carbon dioxide gas has good forming, fast welding speed, no need to change welding rods, save time and improve efficiency
2. Carbon dioxide gas is cheap and low cost
3. The feeding of welding wire and the movement of welding gun are all completed by the mechanical method of automatic control, which is conducive to improving the welding quality and productivity
4. It is suitable for workshop production, inconvenient on site, CO2 gas protection and poor wind resistance.
1. The spatter of CO2 gas shielded welding is large. During the welding process, CO2 gas decomposes and generates C, which increases the carbon content in the weld and is easy to generate defects such as pores
2. During CO2 gas shielded welding, due to high current density, high arc temperature and much stronger arc radiation than manual arc welding, special attention should be paid to strengthening safety protection to prevent electro-optic ophthalmia and naked skin burns.
3. CO2 gas shielded welding not only produces smoke and metal dust, but also produces harmful gases such as CO and NO3.
4. The requirements for groove and assembly clearance of workpiece are strict, and the selection of welding specifications is also strict.
1. Manual welding is protected by coating. The coating contains decarburized elements, which can reduce the content of C
2. Arc welding is easy to contain slag.
3. It is convenient and flexible to use. It is the most economical for multi variety and small batch weldments.
It can not be replaced by other welding methods in many installation welding and repair welding.
1. The operation skill level of welders has a great impact on the quality of manual arc welding, so welders must receive strict training before they can engage in such welding work.
After investigation, it is found that there is no clear division of labor between manual arc welding and CO2 gas shielded welding in the workshop, and both welding machines can meet the production requirements.
However, manual arc welding is easy to move and has good mobility and flexibility.