The O-ring is a circular rubber ring, which is the most widely used seal in hydraulic and pneumatic systems. O-rings can have circular, square, X-shaped, and Y-shaped cross-sections, each shape having different properties and applicability.
1. The Sealing Principle of O-rings
The O-ring is a bidirectional sealing element. When installed, the initial compression of the O-ring in the radial or axial direction determines its initial sealing capability. The force generated by the system pressure acting on the O-ring is its total sealing force; this sealing force increases as the system pressure rises.
Under pressure, the shape of the O-ring and the liquid with high surface tension are similar. The pressure is transmitted equally in all directions.
The self-sealing of the O-ring is limited. When the internal pressure is too high, the “rubber extrusion” phenomenon of the O-ring will occur. That is, due to the existence of a gap in the sealed part, the O-ring under high pressure will generate stress concentration at the gap.
When the stress reaches a level that the rubber material of the O-ring cannot bear, the rubber material will be squeezed out. At this time, although the O-ring can still temporarily maintain the seal, it has actually been damaged.
Therefore, it is necessary to strictly select the type.
2. Features of O-rings
1. Advantages of O-rings
- Simple design, compact structure, easy to install and remove;
- Suitable for various sealing forms, both dynamic and static seals can be used;
- The cross-sectional structure of the O-ring seal is extremely simple, and it has a self-sealing function. The sealing performance is reliable, and there is almost no leakage in static sealing;
- The frictional resistance during movement is small, making it suitable for situations with alternating pressure;
- Single use bidirectional sealing;
- The size and groove have been standardized, the product is readily available, easy to use and purchase, and the price is relatively low.
2. Disadvantages of O-rings
- During compression dynamic sealing, the starting friction resistance is high;
- In the process of air pressure and water pressure sealing, lubricating oil needs to be added to prevent wear. In some situations, it is often necessary to add dust-proof and protective retaining rings;
- The processing dimensions and precision requirements of the mating parts (such as motion surfaces, grooves, gaps, etc.) are strict.
3. Precautions for O-ring installation
1. Basic requirements for O-ring installation
Before installing the O-ring, check the following:
- Whether the chamfering is processed according to the drawing, check if the sealed surface has any defects;
- Whether the inner diameter has been deburred, whether the sharp edges have been rounded, and ensure that all edges or transitions have been chamfered;
- Whether the processing burrs and iron filings have been completely removed, ensuring all processing residues are cleared;
- Whether the thread tips on the installation path have been covered to prevent the thread tips from scratching the O-ring;
- Whether the seals and parts have been coated with a small amount of lubricating grease or oil compatible with the O-ring;
- Do not use lubricating grease containing solid additives, such as molybdenum disulfide, zinc sulfide.
2. For manual installation, note the following:
- Do not use sharp tools;
- Ensure the O-ring is not twisted, use auxiliary tools to ensure correct positioning.
- Avoid overstretching O-rings;
- For O-rings adhered with a sealant strip, do not stretch at the connection point;
- O-rings are generally not reusable;
- When installing an O-ring into a groove, be careful not to twist the O-ring.
3. When installing over threads, splines
- After stretching an O-ring, when passing through threads, splines, keyways, etc., an installation mandrel must be used. This mandrel can be made of a softer metal or plastic, and should not have burrs or sharp edges.
- When installing tightening screws, the screws should be tightened symmetrically, not in a directional sequence.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?