Are you curious about the powerful machines used to cut and shape metal plates in various industries? Look no further than the hydraulic shearing machine.
This ultimate guide will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the working principles, different types, advantages, and parts of this essential piece of machinery.
From the hydraulic swing beam shears to the circular shear, you’ll learn about the various types of shearing machines and their specific functions.
But it’s not just about the machines themselves – this guide also covers the benefits of using code to control the hydraulic shearing machine, as well as the sleek appearance and safety features of these powerful tools.
Whether you’re in the steel production, shipbuilding, automobile manufacturing, or construction industry, this guide is a must-read for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of hydraulic shearing machines.
So, buckle up and get ready to dive deep into the world of metal processing with this ultimate guide.
A hydraulic shearing machine is a type of machine that uses a moving upper blade and a fixed lower blade to apply a shearing force to metal plates of varying thicknesses, resulting in the separation of the plates into the desired size by utilizing an appropriate blade clearance.
Shearing machines are a type of forging machinery that mainly perform metal processing. They are widely utilized in various industries such as aviation, light industry, metallurgy, chemical industry, construction, shipbuilding, automobile, electric power, electrical appliances, decoration, and more, to provide specialized machinery and complete equipment sets.
Check out the following video to see it in action.
What is Hydraulic Shearing Machine?
The hold-down cylinder of a hydraulic shearing machine is powered by the hydraulic system to clamp down on the steel plate, and the left and right cylinders drive the movement of the blade up and down.
The hold-down cylinder of the hydraulic shearing machine operates under the power of the hydraulic system to clamp the metal sheet in place, while the left and right oil cylinders control the movement of the blade, moving it up and down.
The upper blade on the blade carrier and the lower blade fixed on the blade holders have a suitable clearance to apply shear force to metal sheets of various thicknesses and cut them to the desired size.
The hydraulic shearing machine is used for direct shearing of a variety of metal materials to meet the demands of industries such as steel production, shipbuilding, automobile manufacturing, container production, electrical switch appliances, machinery manufacturing, and light industry.
Working Principle of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
At the beginning of the post, we stated that sheet metal shearing is accomplished through the movement of upper and lower blades driven by a hydraulic system.
Different Types of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
The plate shearing machine can be classified into two types: hydraulic shears and mechanical shears.
Hydraulic shearing machines are more commonly used due to their lower energy consumption and reduced noise compared to mechanical shears.
In terms of blade carrier movement, hydraulic shearing machines can be further divided into two categories:
- Hydraulic swing beam shears
- Hydraulic guillotine shears
The following are various types of shearing machines:
- Guillotine Shear, Plate Shear: Uses reciprocating linear motion between two blades to perform sheet metal cutting.
- Hand Guillotine Shear, Hand Plate Shear: Manually operated shears.
- Hydraulic Guillotine Shear, Hydraulic Plate Shear: Shears operated by a hydraulic system.
- Pivot Blade Shear, Swing Beam Shear: Upper blade carrier swings around a pivot in these shears.
- Hydraulic Pivot Blade Shear, Hydraulic Swing Beam Shear: Swing beam shears powered by a hydraulic system.
- Multi-Strip Slitter, Coil Slitting Shear: Uses multiple disc scissors to cut a coil into strips of the desired width.
- Multi-Band Slitter, Sheet Slitting Shear: Uses multiple disc scissors to cut a metal plate into strips of the desired width.
- Nibbling Machine: Processes plates into any desired shape through a step-by-step method.
- Circular Shear, Rotary Shear: Uses a pair of rotary blades to cut plates in a straight or curved line.
- Universal Ironworker for Punch, Bar and Section Shear: A machine with dual functions of punching and cutting.
- Universal Ironworker for Plate and Section Shear: A machine with dual functions of metal plate punching and cutting.
- Universal Ironworker for Punch, Plate, Bar and Section Shear: A machine with three functions of plate punching, plate shearing, and section shearing.
- Universal Ironworker for Punch, Plate, Bar and Section Shear, Notching: A machine with four functions of plate punching, plate shearing, section shearing, and notching.
- Billet Shear, Section Steel Shear: Special shearing machines for steel sections.
- Bar Shear: Special shearing machine for bar materials.
- Alligator Shear: Upper blade of the alligator shear moves in a scissor motion.
- Reinforcing Bar Shear: Special shearing machine for reinforcing bars.
- Precision Bar Shear: Special shearing machine for precise shearing of bars.
- Slab Shear: Special shearing machine for slabs.
- Scrap Shear: Special shearing machine for scrap steel.
- Ingot Shear: Special shearing machine for billets.
Advantages of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
Compared to traditional plate shears, hydraulic plate shears have a significant advantage in that they are controlled by a series of codes during operation. These codes are generated through various combinations of characters and depend on the specific work requirements.
One major benefit of using code to control the hydraulic shearing machine is the ability to accurately control the orientation, speed, and strength of the machine. This is achieved through numerical control, which uses computer programming to operate the machine through numerical combinations.
In terms of positioning, the hydraulic shearing machine has clear advantages. The adjusting rod can rotate continuously around the central axis without dead angles, and the machine operates quietly, providing a peaceful work environment that doesn’t affect the mood or health of the operators.
The machine is made from durable stainless steel with strong corrosion resistance and stability, even in environments with high vibration amplitudes. The operation of the machine is simple and easy to learn, requiring computer skills to operate it.
Additionally, the machine not only has strong functionality but also boasts a sleek appearance.
In terms of safety, great progress has been made with the hydraulic shearing machine being equipped with a sturdy self-defense fence. In the event of machine failure, the fence separates the operator from the machine.
The adjustment of light also greatly improves speed, allowing for quick movement to the correct position for a clearer view of the work situation, adding convenience to the production process and operation of the machine.
Parts and Function of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
Shearing Machine Frame
The frame of the shearing machine is constructed using steel plates and includes the left and right board, worktable, clamp holder, and fuel tank.
A hydraulic cylinder and sliding block guide support are installed on both sides of the rack. This serves as a push-up mechanism to control the clearance of the blades.
The hydraulic hold-down cylinder on the clamping device can tightly press the plate for shearing.
The upper blade is fixed and connected to the hydraulic cylinder, allowing for straight up and down movement to transmit shear force and perform cutting.
Additionally, the backgauge mechanism is fixed on the blade holder to accurately position the size of the sheared plate.
The upper and lower shear blades are made from high-standard steel and can be used to shear steel sheets from low carbon to stainless steel. The upper and lower blades have four interchangeable cutting knives to improve blade lifespan.
This mechanism, which is fixed on the blade holder, includes a backgauge regulating motor, micro dynamic adjustment mechanism, backgauge lifting mechanism, digital display device, transmission screw, and guide bar.
The movement of the backgauge on the shearing machine is driven by the motor and causes the running of the backgauge stopper plate, thus enabling cut-to-length cutting.
The fuel tank is installed on the oil tank base behind the shearing machine. The left side of the tank houses the hydraulic integrated valve block, hydraulic oil pump, and main motor.
An oil gauge is located on the left side of the tank, and hydraulic oil should be added to the middle level indicated by the gauge.
Clearance Adjustment Device
The shear force can be optimized by adjusting the gap between the upper and lower blades and the plate thickness. This helps to extend blade lifespan and ensure product quality.
Adjustment rule: The gap should generally be adjusted to 10% of the thickness of the cut material.
A side retaining device is attached to the worktable to ensure that the sheared plate is perpendicular on both sides.
Finger Protection Plate
The finger protection plate of the shearing machine is installed on the machine clamp holder and is designed to control the safe distance from the fingers.
To ensure safe finger distance, the position of the finger protection plate must meet mechanical safety standards.
Safe distance for fingers protection
Note: These dimensions comply with mechanical safety standards.
It is important to avoid placing your fingers between the plate and the shearing machine table when positioning the plate in the backstop block. Doing so could result in the plate pressing against your fingers during the pressing process.
Additionally, when the backgauge block is not in position, the plate should not be pushed through the finger protection plate to prevent any potential finger injuries.
Hold down Cylinder
In order to prevent plate movement during the cutting process, the hold-down cylinder is utilized to firmly press the plate.
Electrical System of the Shearing Machine
The electrical system serves the main purpose of starting the oil pump motor, driving the oil pump to provide power for the hydraulic shear, and controlling the supply of power.
The control circuit primarily connects the solenoid valve and oil pressure, based on operating instructions, to drive the blade carrier’s up-and-down movement and ultimately achieve the cutting goal.
Additionally, electricity is utilized to control the stroke of the blade, back-and-forth movement, alignment of the cutting line, adjustment of the gap, and the shearing angle.
Hydraulic System of the Shearing Machine
The hydraulic system is composed of the main oil pump, hydraulic components, hydraulic cylinder, pressure cylinder, hydraulic pipes, and so on.
The hydraulic oil pump provides shearing pressure for the hydraulic equipment. The hydraulic system controls the system pressure and direction of hydraulic oil flow.
The hydraulic cylinder drives the blade holder movement to perform plate cutting. The hold-down cylinder primarily presses the workpiece to ensure accuracy during the cutting process.
Specifications of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
1. Shear Thickness
The maximum thickness that can be sheared by a hydraulic shearing machine is mainly limited by the strength of the shearing mechanism and ultimately depends on the shear force.
There are several factors that affect the shear force, such as edge clearance, edge sharpness, shear angle (for flat knife shearing), shear speed, shear temperature, width of the sheared surface, and most importantly, the strength of the material being sheared.
Currently, the typical shear thickness for hydraulic shearing machines is less than 32mm, as larger thicknesses are not cost-effective or efficient from a utilization perspective.
2. Shear Sheet Width
The width of the sheet metal that is sheared refers to the maximum size of the metal that can be cut at once in the direction of the shears of the shearing mechanism.
This measurement is based on the width of the steel plate and the manufacturer’s requirements (the width of the shearable plate is typically less than the length of the cutting edge).
This method of cutting is referred to as cross-cutting, and slitting is a type of multiple contact shearing.
As long as the strip width is less than the throat depth of the shearing mechanism, the size is not limited.
With advancements in technology, the plate cutting width is increasing, and hydraulic shearing machines with a plate cutting width of up to 6000mm are becoming more common, with some foreign plate cutting machines reaching a maximum plate width of 10,000mm.
3. Shear Angle
In order to reduce bending and distortion in the sheared sheet metal, a smaller shear angle is generally used, which may increase the shear force but also improves the quality of the shearing.
This increased shear force may also have an impact on the strength and stiffness of the stressed parts of the shears.
4. Throat Depth
The longitudinal cutting method requires certain throat depth specifications for the shearing mechanism.
Currently, the trend is to have a smaller throat depth, which improves the stiffness of the frame but reduces the overall quality of the machine.
Applications of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
Hydraulic shearing machines are widely used in a variety of industries, including decoration, electrical appliances, electric power, automobiles, ships, and aerospace.
In the decoration industry, hydraulic shearing machines are frequently used in conjunction with bending machines to produce stainless steel doors and windows and to decorate special places.
In the electrical and electric power industries, the hydraulic shearing machine is used to cut plates into the desired sizes and then process them further through a bending machine, such as in the production of electrical cabinets, refrigerators, and air conditioning shells.
Large hydraulic shearing machines are commonly used in the automobile and shipbuilding industries for plate shearing work, followed by secondary processing such as welding and bending.
High accuracy is often required in the aerospace industry, so CNC hydraulic shearing machines and electro-hydraulic synchronous CNC bending machines are often selected for their accuracy and efficiency.
Hydraulic shearing machines and bending machines also play important roles in various other industries.
How to Use Hydraulic Shearing Machine
- Clean the oil from the surface of each component of the shearing machine, ensuring that the ball valve is in the open position.
- Lubricate the lubricating parts.
- Fill the tank with N32-N46 thickened hydraulic oil (the oil must be filtered).
- Ensure proper grounding of the machine and switch on the power supply. Check the coordination of each electrical component.
- Before starting, especially if the accumulator needs to be re-inflated, verify the position of the ball head.
Steps to Use the Hydraulic Shearing Machine:
- Start the machine and run it for a certain number of cycles to ensure that plates of different thicknesses can be cut under normal conditions (from thin to thick) for testing purposes.
- Open the pressure gauge switch during cutting and observe the oil pressure value. If there is an abnormality, adjust the overflow valve to meet the requirements.
- Adjust the blade clearance to a suitable position based on the plate thickness.
- Transfer the plate to the work table.
- Adjust the backgauge to the proper position based on the size of the cutting sheet.
- Push the plate so that it comes into contact with the backgauge plate, and set the shearing size.
- Step on the foot switch to shear the steel plate.
- Repeat steps 4-6 to cut off the next sheet.
- After cutting a piece of steel, replace it and repeat the processing of steps 4-8.
- Turn off the power when the work is finished, and carry out daily maintenance of the equipment as specified in the daily maintenance instructions for the shearing machine.
Safe Operating Guidelines for the Hydraulic Shearing Machine:
- The operator must be familiar with the general structure and operation of the shearing equipment.
- The operator must be trained in the use and maintenance of the shearing equipment.
- Lubricate the shearing machine as per the lubrication instructions, check the oil level and quality, and cover the oil cup.
- Before operation, align the cutting blade. The blade clearance should be set based on the thickness of the material being cut, typically 5-7% of the material’s thickness. Adjust the clearance by turning the flywheel with your hand to cause the upper and lower blade to reciprocate once, and then check the clearance with a feeler gauge.
- Based on the requirements of the material being cut, loosen the anchor bolt, adjust the position of the retaining plate, and tighten it. The shearing machine should be run 2-3 times before starting work to ensure good lubrication and error-free operation.
- Do not use percussion to loosen the backgauge device or adjust blade clearance. When adjusting the guide rail clearance and blade clearance, the machine must be stopped before making any adjustments. Do not reach into the cutting area or handle the material during operation.
- The blade must be sharp and should be sharpened or replaced promptly if damaged or worn.
- When cutting different thicknesses and types of material, adjust the clamp spring pressure and blade clearance appropriately to prevent spring breakage or damage to the blade edge.
- Do not cut steel bars using the hydraulic shearing machine. Do not place any other items on the work table to avoid damage to the blade.
- The operator must not leave the machine during operation, or allow anyone else to operate it.
- Pay close attention to the clamping mechanism, clutch, and brake for any signs of abnormal failure. Stay alert while shearing and if you detect any abnormal behavior in the machine, stop shearing immediately, turn off the power, and inform maintenance personnel.
- Before leaving work, turn off the power, wipe down the equipment, and make a record of the inspection.
- Do not cut excessively long or thick plates, high-speed steel, tool steel, or cast iron.
- The clutch should be off before starting and the motor should not start with a load.
- Before starting, test the empty cutting. Once everything is working well, then begin the cutting operation.
- Do not cut explosive items, rods, excessively thin materials, or non-metal materials.
- Check the pull rod for any signs of failure and make sure that the fastening screw is secure. Keep your fingers out of the blade’s path when feeding material. Do not cut material with two operators at the same time, and do not stand behind the shearing machine.
Matters to Consider During Hydraulic Shearing Machine Operation
(1) Regularly check the blade clearance and adjust it according to the thickness of the different materials being cut;
(2) Ensure that the blade is sharp and that the cut surface is free of scars, gas cuts, and protruding burrs;
(3) When making adjustments to the machine, it must be turned off to prevent personal injury and machine damage;
(4) If abnormal noise or overheating of the oil tank is detected during operation, stop the shearing machine immediately to investigate the issue. The highest temperature of the oil tank should not exceed 60℃;
(5) Do not attempt to cut strips, as this can damage the machine. The minimum width of the material being cut should not be less than 40mm;
(6) Note that the cutting capacity of the hydraulic shearing machine depends on the strength of the material being cut. For example, with a maximum cutting thickness of 16mm for Q235 steel (with a tensile strength of 450Mpa), the cutting thickness for Q345 steel would be 13mm. For Q235 steel with a cutting thickness of 8mm, the cutting thickness for Q345 steel would be 6mm.
Blade of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
Shearing machine blade material
Standard blade hardness
These blades are capable of cutting standard cold rolled plates and most stainless steel plates.
When cutting large quantities of stainless steel or hard materials, rough edges may occur during the cutting process.
In such cases, an optional blade with a hardness of HRC 56/57 for 6.5/10mm shears is available as a solution.
You can also check out the detailed 8 Commonly Used Materials of Hydraulic Shears Blade
Shearing machine blade angle adjustment
Blade angle and clearance calculation depend on the standard material.
The gas cabinet has a diagram that can be adjusted at any time to achieve better shearing results.
For instance, increasing the “tilt angle” may reduce the cutting edge, but it may also cause deformation when cutting strips. On the other hand, decreasing the “tilt angle” can reduce the deformation, but it may also result in burrs.
Minimum cutting width of hydraulic shearing machine
The width of the sheared strip should not be less than three times the thickness of the plate when not requiring precise shearing.
For precision shearing, the width of the sheared material should be at least 6 times the thickness of the plate to avoid distortion or bending. The wider the sheared material, the lower the deformation.
Shearing accuracy of hydraulic cutting machine
When evaluating the quality of the shearing, the following data should be taken into consideration for a 2mm ordinary cold rolling plate:
- When setting X = 100mm, the parallelism tolerance of the sample should not exceed 0.15mm in any 1000mm length.
- When setting X = 100mm, the straightness of the sample should not exceed 0.25mm in any 1000mm length.
- The repeat positioning accuracy of the X-axis should be 0.02 mm.
- The length of the sample can be equal to the width of the plate being sheared.
- The tensile strength of the sample should not exceed σb≤450 Mpa.
Shearing machine blade assembly
Instructions for Installing the Upper and Lower Blades of a Hydraulic Shearing Machine:
Upper Blade Installation:
- Mount the blade and securely fasten the M1240 screw to it.
- Do not tighten the screws at the two ends yet.
- Use a stick to hold the blade in place, then tighten the installed M1240 screw one by one until the surface of the blade is fully in contact with the slider.
- Lower the slider, turn off the pump motor, and then tighten the M12*40 screws at both ends of the blade.
- The tightening torque for the blade screw should be 35 N/m.
Lower Blade Installation:
- Start the oil pump and raise the slider to the highest point.
- Once the oil pump is turned off, place the blade and loosen the M1245 hexagon screw (do not tighten too much for now).
- Use a stick to press the blade so that it is close to the bottom of the worktable.
- Tighten the M1245 screw in turn as required.
Note: The blade screws should be tightened to the specified torque to ensure the proper functioning of the machine
Adjustment of blade clearance
The blade clearance directly impacts the quality of the sheared surface and the lifespan of the blade.
1. Blade clearance that is too small
Typically, the standard clearance between the upper and lower blade is 0.02mm, which is equivalent to the thickness of a standard A4 paper.
A commonly used method for adjusting blade clearance during installation is to use the shearing machine to cut paper.
If the blade clearance has been adjusted too small:
The cutting edge of the blade is under excessive pressure, which can directly damage the cutting edge and dull it.
Dislocation between the upper and lower blade can occur, resulting in the upper blade cutting into the lower blade. This can cause the cutting edge of the blade to crack, which poses a risk to the operator.
2. Too big blade clearance
This is a common mistake made by non-professionals during blade installation. To prevent the blades from striking each other, they often increase the gap unnecessarily. This is incorrect.
When the blade clearance is too large, the accuracy of the cut plate will be affected, and there will be many metal burrs on the cutting edge, especially when cutting thin sheet metal materials.
The sheet metal will also get trapped between the upper and lower blades, making it difficult to remove. This not only wears out the blades, but may also cause the shearing machine to shut down. However, this issue may not be as noticeable when cutting thick plates.
Regular adjustment of the blade clearance is necessary after prolonged use of the shears. We recommend setting the blade clearance at around 10% of the metal sheet thickness.
The lower blade is fixed on the hydraulic shearing machine, and the blade clearance can only be adjusted by changing the position of the upper blade. The minimum clearance should be between 0.05-0.1mm.
The blade clearance at the ends can be adjusted by adjusting the pole (as shown in the figure).
If the clearance between the lower blade does not meet the requirements, it can be adjusted by referring to the figure and adjusting the M1660 and M1265 hex screws to ensure that the parallelism allowance of the upper and lower blade is within 0.05mm.
Repeat adjustments of the M1265 and M1660 inner hex screws may be necessary to achieve the ideal blade clearance.
Maintenance of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
The daily maintenance of the shears involves daily lubrication, cleaning of the tank, and cleaning of the shearing machine.
1. Safety instructions
When conducting any maintenance on the shearing machine, it is important to first shut off the power supply.
Wait 20 seconds for the capacitor and servo amplifier to discharge completely.
During the operation of the hydraulic parts, the slider may move, so it is important to follow these guidelines:
- Do not place arms or feet between the upper and lower blades;
- Before removing the valve:
- Shut off the pump
- Lower the slider to the oil cylinder without oil
- If it is not possible to lower the slider, use a wooden block to cushion it and be aware of any pressure changes in the system due to the removal of the slider valve. Note that no operation should be performed on the shearing machine without proper safety measures in place.
2. Shearing machine lubrication
The shearing machine should be lubricated once a week (or every 40 hours). Use a calcium-based grease, and inject it into each lubrication point using a grease gun.
The lubrication points are shown below:
|1||Ball screw, nut and screw end bearing||Calcium base grease|
|2||Guide rail and slide guide base||Calcium base grease|
|3||Sliding block guide rail||Calcium base grease|
|4||Guide rail and clearance adjustment screw and nut||Calcium base grease|
3. The hydraulic oil and calcium base grease
The shears are recommended to use the following hydraulic oil:
|GULF||HARMONY 46 AW|
|TBXACO||RANDO OIL 46|
|MOBIL OIL||MOBIL DTE 25|
4. Change hydraulic oil
Hydraulic oil should be replaced after the first 2000 hours of operation, and then replaced every two years or after 4000 hours of use.
- Before removing the tank cover and accessing the tubing, it is important to clean the area to prevent contamination.
- The hydraulic oil should be drained when it is warm and the slider is at the upper dead point.
- Clean the inside of the tank using a clean cloth and a suitable solvent.
- Replace the oil filters and add new hydraulic oil.
- Before restarting the shearing machine, run the oil pump for about an hour to circulate the new hydraulic oil.
5. Hydraulic shearing machine maintenance procedures
To guarantee the reliable operation of the shearing machine, it is important to follow the following procedures, which are graphically illustrated.
Note that the specified time listed below is based on a 5-day workweek, with 8 hours of work per day.
|Item||The attention points||Period|
|Whole body||Brush the dust and dirt on the machine, gently oil the blade||weekly|
|Backgauge support bearing||Gun lubrication||weekly|
|Backgauge ball screw||Gun lubrication||weekly|
|Slider guide rail||Check the derrick adjustment||3 month|
|Check backgauge positioning||If the position error of the backstop blocks exceeds + 0.1mm, please reset||3 month|
|Hydraulic parts and systems||Check the tank oil level. If you need to replace the new oil, change the filter to 20um||weekly|
|Drain the old oil and add the new oil||12 months for the 1st time|
|Check all valves, hydraulic system, tubing and connectors to prevent leakage, blockage and replacement when necessary.||3 month|
|Check the cleanness of the import and export filters||3 month|
|Footswitch||Check foot switch pedal, in case of deformation, breakage, etc||monthly|
|Electrical control equipment||Check the limit switches in the electric cabinet, and the wear and burn must be replaced in time||3 month|
|Shears||Observe wear and abnormality of air metal shears||3 month|
|Finger protector||Check the sheet shears protection device to prevent the finger from entering the dangerous area||monthly|
Hydraulic Shearing Machine Troubleshooting
Hydraulic Shearing Machine Instruction Manual
You can click the below link to view both the instruction manual for swing beam shears as well as guillotine shears.
Hydraulic Shearing Machine Drawing
** Hydraulic shears circuit diagram
Here are the drawings:
** Hydraulic schematic diagram
Here are the drawings:
1. Slider Movement Up and Down
When the oil from the main oil line is directed into the three-position four-way directional control valve S6, S6Y1A gets energized. The oil then enters S6B through S6P, opens the one-way valve S8, and flows into the lower chamber of the right cylinder (the left and right cylinders are connected in series), causing the oil to flow from the right tank into the lower chamber of the left cylinder.
The oil in the upper chamber of the left cylinder enters S6A and then S6T, causing the slider to move up.
If S6Y1 is energized, the oil will enter S6A through S6, then into the upper chamber of the left cylinder, and then into the upper chamber of the right cylinder.
The oil will overcome the pressure of the back pressure valve S7 and enter S6T through S6B, then return to the oil tank, causing the slider to move down.
2. Adjusting the Shear Angle
If there is no set value for the shear angle of the shearing machine, the slider block cannot move up and down. Therefore, the shear angle must be set through the controller.
The shear angle adjustment is as follows:
When the oil is directed into the three-position four-way directional control valve S2, and Y2A is energized, the oil will enter S2B through S2P, open the hydraulic control single-way valve S3, and flow into the lower chamber of the left cylinder and the upper chamber of the right cylinder, causing the upper chamber of the left oil cylinder to not form a circuit and not move.
When the oil in the lower chamber of the right cylinder returns to the oil tank through S6T, the back pressure valve S7, and the S6B valve, the cutting angle becomes smaller.
Conversely, if Y2B is energized, the oil will enter S2A through S2P, open the single-way valve S4, and flow into the lower chamber of the right oil cylinder.
The oil in the upper chamber of the right cylinder can only enter the hydraulic control single-way valve S3 (at this point, the S3 valve is open), and the oil will enter S2T through S2B, causing the shearing angle to become larger.
The relationship between shear angle and shear force:
|Shear Angle Adjustment|
3. The work of the hold-down cylinder
When the oil enters the directional control valve S9 through the clamping proportional control valve S10 (the proportional pressure of which is controlled by an electrical arc pressure adjustment switch), upon activation of S9, the oil will enter S9A through S9P and then enter the upper chamber of the clamping device, causing the clamping piston to move downward and create compression.
When S9 loses electricity, the clamping piston will be pushed upward by the internal spring of the clamp, forcing the oil in the upper chamber of the clamping cylinder to enter S9T through the S9 valve, resetting the clamping device.
** Hydraulic shearing machine structure drawing
List of Vulnerable Parts of The Hydraulic Shearing Machine
Hydraulic Shearing Machine Operator’s Responsibility
Under the guidance of the sheet metal workshop director, we must learn to adhere to the company’s regulations, follow the leadership’s directives, maintain staff unity, put forth positive effort, act in an economical manner, perform quality work, and produce qualified products.
- Responsible for daily routine maintenance, checking, repairing, adjusting, and tightening the shears, and keeping records
- Familiar with the safety technical operation procedures of the work, and strictly follow the safety technology and operating procedures
- Master the normal operation method of the shearing machine, can accurately judge abnormal situations, and take emergency measures timely and correctly
- Operate strictly according to the operating rules, equipment can only be started when the working environment is normal
- Check oil storage tank for sufficiency, check valves and pipelines after starting oil pump, and ensure pressure meets requirements
- Observe resistance of blade movement and start cutting when test is normal (sudden starts prohibited)
- Do not cut laminated sheet material, trim plate edges with burrs, or shear narrow plates and short materials that can’t be tightly pressed
- Adjust blade clearance according to plate thickness (not to exceed 1/30 of plate thickness)
- Blade should be fastened firmly and kept parallel to prevent accidents
- Keep blade edge sharp and repair/replace if dull or cracked
- Press materials firmly onto plate while shearing and don’t shear under pressure
- Don’t adjust hydraulic valve yourself
- Don’t use shearing machine for super length/thickness, or for shearing steel, high carbon steel, alloy tool steel, cast iron, or brittle materials
- Check fastening screws for looseness frequently
- Don’t operate shearing machine alone, coordinate with another person for material delivery, dimension accuracy, and material taking
- Adjust blade clearance according to plate thickness and don’t cut two different specifications/materials
- Keep operator’s fingers 200mm away from scissor shears and leave compression device
- Determine cutting thickness according to plate limit strength/thickness curve diagram
- Don’t place other items on workbench
- Clean after stopping shearing machine
- Run shearing machine in empty after adjusting blade (alignment) for test
- Pile up finished product, clear field, cut off power, and lock switch box before leaving work
Price of Hydraulic Shearing Machine
The hydraulic shearing machines commonly used are mainly designed to cut steel plates with a thickness of 4-8mm and a width of 2.5-3.2m.
Typically, a 4 * 2500 hydraulic swing beam shear is priced around 6000 USD, while a 6 * 3200 hydraulic swing beam shear is priced at approximately 10000 USD.
It should also be noted that the price of a hydraulic guillotine shear is approximately 2000 USD more than that of a swing beam shear.
The difference between swing beam shear and guillotine shear can be checked here.
How To Choose The Right Hydraulic Shearing Machine
- Determining the specifications and cost range of the hydraulic shearing machine: When purchasing a hydraulic shearing machine, it is important to consider the specific needs and product parameters to determine the right specifications and cost range.
- Finding a manufacturer: The first step in the process of finding a manufacturer is to determine if they have the required machines. This may seem straightforward, but it is important not to overlook this step. A useful resource for finding hydraulic shearing machine factories around the world, including China hydraulic shearing machine companies, can be found in this post.
- Checking the models: Different manufacturers often provide various models of machines and may even order from other companies, so it is important to carefully check if the model you need is available.
- Examining the company and machine: When visiting the company to see the machines, it is important to gather as much information as possible about the machine and after-sales service. Make an informed decision by considering multiple factors and choosing a manufacturer with a good price and excellent service.
- Signing a contract and making a deposit: After determining the manufacturer, the next step is to sign a contract and pay a deposit. It is important to carefully review the contract terms and ensure they are fair and not in breach of any laws.
22 thoughts on “Hydraulic Shearing Machine: The Ultimate Guide (2023 Updated)”
i wan to how to open and service the front clamp?
Thanks for sharing such informative blog. I think you have done deep research on it. I really appreciate your hardwork.
Need to find who can give us price and availability on a Heavy Duty Hydraulic Shear Machine Guillotine Style.
Our sales team will contact you asap.