Bending and forming of the metal sheet are carried out on plate bending machine. Put the workpiece on plate bending machine, use lifting lever lift brake block, then make the workpiece slide to a proper position, and then down the brake block to the workpieces, and further press on the bending lever to realize the bending of the metal sheet.
Minimum bending radius is a function of the ductility and thickness of the metal formed.
For aluminum sheet metal, the bending radius is greater than the thickness of the plate.
Due to the elasticity, the bending angle of metal is slightly bigger than angle required.
The bending of the metal sheet is conducted in metal processing workshop.
Metal sheet processing is only a series of processing techniques for bending, riveting and welding of metal materials.
The problems occurred in this process and the corresponding solutions are discussed below.
- 1 Problem 1: The bending edge is not straight and the size is unstable.
- 2 Problem 2: The workpiece is scraped after bending.
- 3 Problem 3: There are cracks at bending angles.
- 4 Problem 4: Bending causes hole deformation
- 5 Problem 5: The bending surface is thinner.
- 6 Problem 6: The workpiece surface is bulging or uneven.
- 7 Problem 7: The concave part is uneven at the bottom.
- 8 Problem 8: The axis of holes on two sides are misaligned after bending.
- 9 Problem 9: The precise hole position cannot be guaranteed after bending.
- 10 Problem 10: The bending line is not parallel to the two-hole center.
- 11 Problem 11: deformation occurs in terms of width after bending (the bending part occurs bow deflection in width).
- 12 Problem 12: workpiece with incision occur downward deflection.
Problem 1: The bending edge is not straight and the size is unstable.
- no line pressing or pre-bending.
- inadequate material pressure
- dissymmetric convex-concave die fillet and uneven bending pressure
- low height
- design line pressing or pre-bending techniques
- increase jacking force
- even clearance in the convex-concave die and polish fillet
- make the height larger or equal to the minimum size
Problem 2: The workpiece is scraped after bending.
- unsmooth material surface
- too small convex die bending radius
- too small bending clearance
- improve the smoothness of concave die
- increase convex die bending radius
- adjust bending clearance
Problem 3: There are cracks at bending angles.
- too small bending radius
- material grain parallel to the bending line
- burr of workblank extending outward
- poor remoldability of metal
- increase bending radius of convex die
- change blanking layout
- making burrs at workpiece’s inner fillet
- annealing or using soft material
Problem 4: Bending causes hole deformation
When the elastic bending is used to positioning the hole, the outside of the bending arm is pulled by friction on the surface of the concave mold and the outer surface of the workpiece, making the positioning hole deformed.
- employing shape bending
- increase coverboard pressure
- add pitting plaid to coverboard to increase friction so as to prevent workpiece from sliding when bending
Problem 5: The bending surface is thinner.
- too small convex-concave die fillet
- too small convex-concave die clearance
- increase the radius of convex-concave die fillet
- adjust the convex-concave die clearance
Problem 6: The workpiece surface is bulging or uneven.
Under the tension in the circumferential direction, the outer surface of the material shrinks while the inner surface extends during bending, and forming bulging in the bending direction.
- provide adequate pressure to convex-concave die at the final stamping stage
- make concave round angle radius equal to that of the workpiece’s excircle
- optimize techniques
- uneven material
- small contact area between coverboard and material or inadequate jacking force
- no material support device in concave die
- leveling materials
- adjust material support device and increase jacking force
- increase or correct material support device
- increase the shaping processes
Problem 8: The axis of holes on two sides are misaligned after bending.
The material rebound changes the bending angle, making the central line misaligned.
- increase correction process
- improve bending model structure to reduce material rebound
Problem 9: The precise hole position cannot be guaranteed after bending.
- incorrect unfolding sizes
- material springback
- unstable positioning
- calculate the workblank size accurately
- increase correction process or improve bending die structure
- change processing methods or improve positioning
Problem 10: The bending line is not parallel to the two-hole center.
When the bending height is less than the minimum bending height, the bending part occurs expansion.
- increase the height of workpiece to be bent
- improve bending techniques
Problem 11: deformation occurs in terms of width after bending (the bending part occurs bow deflection in width).
The inconsistent depth and shrinkage in the width of workpiece cause torsion and deflection.
- increase bending pressure
- increase correction process
- ensure a certain angle between materials and bending direction
Problem 12: workpiece with incision occur downward deflection.
The incision makes the two straight edges open to the left and right side, forming deflection at the bottom.
- improve the workpiece structure
- increase processing allowance at incisions to connect incisions and then cut off the process after bending